A VERBAL PLUNGE INTO JAPANESE MARKETS

Posted 10:19 by BNS in
Also, originally published, in a much cooler Mac-form at
http://web.me.com/boredinho/boreduniverse/Boredblogg/Entries/2009/5/25_A_VERBAL_PLUNGE_INTO_JAPANESE_MARKETS.html


Japan; Sushi, Sake and Samurais. Still credible associations, indeed.

Tokyo; Crowded subways, Changing sceneries and Contemporary buzz.
This is of course just merely touching the surface of what Japan and Tokyo has to offer. So how can I break the surface? How can I plunge into the wild japanese markets?


Curiosity in it self just doesn`t cut it. Talking with some norwegians about how they see japanese consumer-trends, how japanese markets are developing and how they are different from the norwegian norm, just didn`t prove to be fruitful. So what do I do?I need some terms which can help me explore, a guidebook. Well, no one is going to give me one for free so I just gotta make it myself.




Firstly, I need to understand the dynamics of japanese marketing
. I guess that this needs time and consistent efforts over a longer period than just the 72 days I have left. But I have already started. Walking around in Tokyo, checking out the different shops, noticing how the shelving is organized, the Sushi prizing strategy, how the fashion-shops are changing their clothing-line week in and week out. I guess I gotta start somewhere and when I try to understand the micro-picture of it all.



In due time
, I wanna come to grips with the great beast of the macro picture. Which involves societal-factors, long term evaluation of what works and what clearly doesn`t and maybe if they have the same criteria for determining success as we have in the west. I imagine that Japan is a country of companies like big monster-like institutions that dominates everything but I haven`t really seen the belly of the beast. I wanna get a look inside of japanese business!






Øyvind Aasen




Then comes the plunge, when I have climbed up to the big clip, gazing out on the japanese markets from the perspective of an omniscient eagle(an unreachable ideal, I can imagine). It takes courage, frustration and continuing feedback-loops.



Thirdly, the return to Norway
; What can be applied to Norway or even the some western-markets? What represents a window of opportunity or maybe blue ocean of market-opportunity? Cause clearly, the japanese does do a lot of crazy things, but does it work in Norway? And is a success in Japan a success in Norway, or should I go for the japanese failures? This seems like a Mission Impossible to determine, but the difficulty while diminish as my understanding and wisdom develops, but once again hope and hard work are still my only contributions to the process.



Then, I hope, I can return, again and again
and over again to Japan, getting inspired and can reinvent myself and being able to get myself some new,japanese mental furniture. This is the dream, it`s not an ambition yet, but a pattern in my life I deeply want to emerge. Going places, seeing things, get inspired, seek wisdom, explore my horizons and get some lifelong japanese friends and companions.


Well, the guidebook didn`t turn out that good I guess. At least I now what I want to explore, but how is still a puzzling mystery. The road is formed while walking, I presume.

0 comment(s) to... “A VERBAL PLUNGE INTO JAPANESE MARKETS”

0 comments:

Post a Comment